On 18 January 1709, the pharmacist Nicolaus Jerre received his privilege to open a new pharmacy, thus ending the 'Leipzig Pharmacy Dispute' that had lasted for 100 years. He opened the "Apotheke zum weißen Adler" (Pharmacy of the White Eagle). On the one hand, the name probably goes back to the "Gasthof zum blauen Adler" (Blue Eagle Inn) that had previously existed in the building. On the other hand, the white eagle was the coat of arms of the Polish royal house and a symbol of power, strength and eternal virtue. In keeping with the times, the pharmacy also runs a secondary trade in spices, soaps, tobacco, wine and much more.